Can Library play an inevitable role for Creative Economy?
In 20th century, organization was focused more on physical asset like land, coal mines, shareholders truly owned these. When Literacy causes emergence of knowledge and intellectualism, people is a vital asset of any Organisations. Now, war is erupted for Human Brain, not physical asset.Organisation is started to create an environment that makes the best people want to stay .In present day economy, organization realizes that most important asset is not machine or software or music or CD/DVD.It is an insight resides employee ‘heads Being a 21st century tribe that is witness of a kind of ”welfare capitalism,” .This spurs organization to adopt welfare policy to recruit and retain employees by providing services that in another era were provided by government agencies or families: child education, family vacation & job security for family member other special allowances.
This environment creates backbone for creative economy and creative industries which is full of small start-ups. Now market power is shifted from seller to the buyer. The customer is now in charge. The customer is owner of buying process that depends entity attributes. Now it becomes norms to delight your customers and users, otherwise they can move forward another business.
A large number of organizations have built their organization culture based on 20th century hierarchical bureaucratic philosophy where individuals reporting to bosses, with roles, rules, plans and reports—simply can’t cope. These practices do not match when demand change with the wind speed. Where this depends on understanding the customer and user requirements and finding ways to delight them.
The Creative economy has emerged out to deal with this new business environment .This use thee basic principles
- Self-Organizing Team
- Value Delivery to Customer
- Constant Feedback with customers
- Controller to a Coach
- Direct communication with Customer to delight them
- Customer must be the center of the organization’s universe,
In managerial economy that management ideology is vertical, whereas creative economy has horizontal ideology. In earlier it is said that big leaders appoint little leaders. Executive struggle for promotion. Remuneration correlates with rank and task. Managers assess performance. Rules limit discretion. The values are efficiency, predictability and telling people what to do. In creative economy, the central goal of the organization is to delight the user or customer. The values are enablement, self-organization and continuous improvement to add value to the user or customer.
These two ideologies are not compatible and have fundamentally different dynamics. Either the horizontal ideology will take over the organization or the vertical ideology will crush the Agile self-organizing teams.
Nowadays, we cannot dismiss these facts that the culture concept is now ampler, richer, and more understood in its economic dimension. It recognizes not only the symbolic value of culture, but the potential of what, until now, was deemed “not economics.”
Culture diversity provides a new ecosystem for market and knowledge development that shapes societies capabilities. It ensures new market policy to regulate and govern knowledge production and their distribution. Cultural uniqueness and richness of the people in the particular region enhances by incorporating the new with transformation of the present .This embodies to be respectful of one’s own origins and cultural diversity. Growth derives from fundamental element “Innovation”. It became evident in the new technologies of today that allow joining the global world by eliminating physical barriers.
Culture is an opportunity and boon developing societies to diversify their economy and join the global growth story. It will become fruitful to implement new notation for inclusive growth for our society that enhances quality of life
It is noted that culture in terms of innovation and growth, it reflects think of the Creative Industries. It would be a sector specific that enhances cultural production
United Nations Creative Economy Report 2013 Special Edition confirms the creative economy as one of the most rapidly growing sectors of the world economy and a highly transformative one in terms of income generation, job creation and export earnings. But this is not all there is to it. For unlocking the potential of the creative economy also means promoting the overall creativity of societies, affirming the distinctive identity of the places where it flourishes and clusters, improving the quality of life there, enhancing local image and prestige and strengthening the resources for the imagining of diverse new futures.
Further this report highlighted the evidence to demonstrates how the cultural and creative industries are at the core of local creative economies in the global South and how they forge “new development pathways that encourage creativity and innovation in the pursuit of inclusive, equitable and sustainable growth and development”
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) states that Creative Industries include activities that range from traditional crafts, cultural celebrations, books, art, music and performing arts, to sectors with an intense use of technology, such as design and the audiovisuals, including the film industry, television, and radio. Also included are activities directed to services such as architecture, advertising, and new products in media communication, like digital animation and video games, digital marketing.
Regional Integration of Library to Promote Creative Economy
- Libraries play a pivotal role in the dissemination of knowledge and are extremely important in building a knowledge economy.
- Libraries can play cultural ,knowledge and community laboratory ,
- Libraries can help info seeker to translate their idea into product and services
- Creative Industries have had a strong growth rate in the global market.
- In other part of world, regional integration process would have proven to have a positive impact in the growth process of Creative Industries, especially in recognition and promotion of peoples’ cultural diversity, as well as of the value of culture as a factor in development and inclusion.
- India need to replicate the dissemination of cultural information systems between the different multilateral cultural blocs is essential to trace the cultural, political, economic, and historic life. In this effort that will push a joint work in the advancement of Creative Industries and will enhance the positive impact of this industry in the growth of other countries.
What is the Creative Industries?
- Creative Industries are the sum of a wider range group of activities.
- Cultural Industries are those industries that combine creation, production, and sales of creative contents, intangible or of a cultural nature.
- The creative industries define that production of artistic expression or expression of idea into product and services such as advertising, architecture or creating and promoting intellectual property products such as arts, film, computer games, multimedia, or design.
- Recent study explores the presence of the 3Ts – Technology, Talent and Tolerance in economic development within each state and Union Territory in India
- Creative industries create jobs, wealth and trade and help countries establish a stronger national identity. The creative sector generates and leverages knowledge and information, and it triggers innovation, creating social and economic wealth for society and contributing to sustainable development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. The creative industries also provide opportunities to showcase and support traditional and indigenous knowledge, culture and practices
The role of intellectual property rights as an enabler
“Intellectual property rights (IP) play an important role in the development of creative industries, by promoting creativity and culture, while returning value to creators and providing widespread, affordable access to content for the public. Copyright in particular provides a framework which facilitates the marketing and trade of creative products and services and offers a system of incentives and rewards, helping creators make a living “ “United Nations on Sustainable Creative Industries –the enabling role of intellectual property rights”
- Marketing :Advertising and marketing agencies and professionals
- Architecture :Architecture firms and architects
- Visual Arts + Craft :Museums, galleries, curators, artists, artisans, and makers
- Design: Product, interior, graphic, and fashion design firms and designers
- Film + Media :Film, animation, TV, and radio businesses, organizations, and talent
- Digital Games :Companies, programmers, and individuals producing games
- Music + Entertainment :Venues, theatres, producers, and musicians and performers
- Publishing :Print or electronic businesses and content creator, editors, and writers
- Knowledge: Expression Cultural rich knowledge
- Folk Arts and Culture :Preservation and Cultural Development
Culture plays an important role in the development of any nation. It represents a set of shared attitudes, values, goals and practices. Culture and creativity manifest themselves in almost all economic, social and other activities. India has one of the world’s largest collections of songs, music, dance, theatre, folk traditions, performing arts, rites and rituals, paintings and writings that are known, as the ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage’ (ICH) of humanity.
As reported National Knowledge Commission, Number of libraries in India (estimated figure 1996-97) is 4,70.190 that includes Public libraries 54845 University/Deemed to be University Libraries 267 College Libraries 8000 Science and Technology Libraries 1200 Social Science Libraries 450 Government Department Libraries 800 Art, Culture and Humanities Libraries 500 School Libraries (Higher secondary/ secondary/primary and upper primary) 404128. Libraries covered by the Raja Ram Mohan Foundation is 31563
Can we not translate all kind of library into Creative laboratory to produce knowledge and Intellectual Asset for this Nation: India.